Monday, August 6, 2007

Quick Introduction

I'm Fr Rob Laws- sometimes known as PadreRob. I am the Canterbury Chaplain at the University of Mary Washington in Fredericksburg, Va and the part-time Assistant Rector at Trinity Episcopal Church, across the street from the university. I also blog at a priest's musings on the journey.

I was raised in the Pentecostal Tradition, since my grandfather- who was my pastor as a child- converted to the Church of God (Cleveland, TN) after he had an experience at a prayer meeting in which he was "baptized in the Holy Spirit" and received glossolalia.
I became attracted to the Episcopal Church while studying at Duke Divinity. After worshiping in my first High Church Mass, I knew I had found a spiritual home.

Although I appreciate the Pentecostal tradition, I am not a charismatic. I am one of those progressive catholic types: an affirming catholic who believes part of the baptismal covenant asks us to welcome all who seek to follow Christ and to embrace the gifts and callings of God in all people- including the calls to holy orders- regardless of gender, race, and sexual orientation.

Want to know anything else? Just ask :)

Peace to all. Be at peace and embraced by the Love that created you and sustains you.

3 comments:

Joshua Migallos Ligan said...

Can you still speak in tongues? I can!

Tara Rose Crist said...

cool blog, folks! my friend Christine would love this.. I'm new in the blog sphere - check out my blog and see what you think ;)
http://taritarosita.blogspot.com

ps - is one of you at NAU? I am a former Arizonian..

liturgy said...

Fascinating group!
Just visited your blog, Rob,
I'm interested in people being able to worship together while not needing to agree on everything;
people being a family/community - not just united around a list of completely agreed ideas.
It used to be called being Anglican/Episcopalian

Bosco+
www.liturgy.co.nz